Azure Updates - New VM-series for Confidential Computing@20aman Feb 04, 2019
A new VM-series backed by specialized hardware, which will include the latest generation of Intel SGX.
- Based on Trusted Execution Environments: Intel SGX, Virtualization Based Security (VBS)
- Comm application patterns: Protect data confidentiality, integrity, and sensitive IP
- Protect data and code in use: Isolated portion of processor and memory, code and data cannot be viewed/modified
- Cloud offering: TEE-enabled compute platform, cloud attestation, first-party‒enabled services
- Centrally combine data sources, Communicate with secure endpoints, licensing and DRM
At the time of writing of this blog, this feature is limited preview access under NDA (announced via blog) of a specialized Virtual Machine Series (DC-series) that will become part of the Azure Compute portfolio and the first installment of the broader Azure Confidential Computing (ACC) initiative. Put simply, confidential computing offers protection that to date has been missing from public clouds: encryption of data while in use.
You can read more about this here: Azure confidential computing